The procedure of making existing content available from SharePoint or office 365 to the new or existing source environment.
Stages of SharePoint Migration
The First step, to migrate is to create a list of content and decide what to move. Move the relevant content that is still of use and sling the outdated or irrelevant content. Also, take stock of customizations that are in place on that system. Such as Branding, Workflow, Forms, reporting, etc.
What will the future state of SharePoint look like? Do you need to update the existing content? How old application will map to the new one?
Some of the questions should be asked before setting up the new online environment. For better practices, you should evaluate the strategies of how your organization currently uses SharePoint and what a SharePoint online migration offers.
Migrating to a new version of SharePoint is like moving to a new place. After planning about how you will set up the new environment, it’s time to move towards the implementation and perform the test migration.
As we want to continue with the existing feature with an add-on of new features. We need to do customization or alteration of the new version to make it compatible with the existing one.
The features that are customized and enhanced are validated to ensure that they are presented in the same way as are expected.
After the validation of the features, this is the final stage in which the final clean-up test is being done of the migrated data.
SharePoint is a web application platform. It is not a program it is a collection of many different products and technologies put together. It is a server application and provides a secure web-based business collaboration platform.
SharePoint 2010 Products:
- SharePoint Foundation: It is a basic service and a free add-in for windows server 2008. It is basically for small organizations.
- SharePoint Server: It extends functionality. It is a separate software program for large organizations. It has advanced search and document management features and personalized sites for users to share information.
- SharePoint Designer: It is a web designer application software.
Why Migrate SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint Online?
Let us understand why to migrate SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint online: –
End Life of SharePoint 2010:
SharePoint 2010 is one of the most used versions of SharePoint, which is to be ended on April 13, 2021. After that, no more updates will be there for SharePoint 2010. Many organizations are still using SharePoint 2010, but now it is time to move to the upgraded version of SharePoint.
How SharePoint Online can help?
SharePoint Online is the upgraded version of SharePoint 2010. As the name suggests SharePoint Online is a cloud-based platform. One must make sure that SharePoint Online offers all the features that you need. SharePoint Online allows to easily share content, knowledge, and applications. It is better to get to a newer version of SharePoint as it is the best, safer, and a good way to get out of the problems that you are facing now. As
- SharePoint online has a powerful search feature to help users find the relevant content in an easier way.
- SharePoint Online can be easily integrated with Microsoft flow to automate processes such as document saving, approvals, etc.
- It has a security feature that has easily change and configure permission to control who can access what data,
- SharePoint online is mobile-friendly. And is accessible with any mobile phone with ease.
- SharePoint online has an extensive customizable facility in which sites created on the platform can easily change aspects of the sites such as layouts, fonts, background colors, etc.
SharePoint Migration Tools
Migrate your content through different SharePoint migration tools. It provides a simple-to-use application for the migration of content to SharePoint online.
It is not possible to list all migration tools in one place. So, below are some of the commonly used SharePoint migration tools.
- Axceler: It is a tool that has been around for a long time and provides migration to SharePoint with its products.
- Kapow: is another company that focuses on business processes and workflow migrations. Its SharePoint migration solution automates the migration of files into SharePoint.
- Metalogix: It connects directly to existing SharePoint deployments without any work needed on the server-side for migration.
If you have done any customization in SharePoint On-premises, while migrating to SharePoint Online you will need to rebuild the customization, ensuring it lines up with available SharePoint Online features. This is an overview of why you should migrate from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint online.
We have a team of SharePoint experts who can guide you in this journey of migration from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint Online. Read more about SharePoint Migration or simply connect with us at email@example.com or visit our website.