How to Refund a Game on Nintendo Switch
Going through the top Nintendo Switch games is usually a lot of fun, but what if you discover a game isn’t for you? Unfortunately, Nintendo doesn’t have a good system in place for collecting refunds on the Nintendo Switch, but there are a few exceptions. Here’s how to get a refund on a Nintendo Switch game.
How to refund a game on Nintendo Switch
Nintendo does not allow refunds for digital titles that were not pre-ordered, even if you purchased the game or DLC by accident. Nintendo’s official philosophy is that you should be more cautious and examine online reviews before making a purchase.
If you preordered a game from the Nintendo eShop and want a refund, you can do so as long as the title isn’t more than seven days away from release. If that’s the case, you won’t be able to seek a refund from Nintendo. This policy may change soon, as Nintendo was sued over the matter in December 2021, and a German court ordered the firm to accept refunds for preorders at any time before the game’s release.
How to cancel a preorder:
You have two options for canceling a preordered game on Nintendo Switch: utilize your online browser or your Nintendo Switch. Using a web browser, you can cancel a Nintendo Switch preorder:
- Go to accounts.nintendo.com
- Log in with your username and password.
- Select the Shop Menu option.
- Select Your Pre-Orders now.
- Select Cancel from the drop-down menu next to the game you want to cancel.
You can also cancel the order directly from your Nintendo Switch:
- Start by going to the Nintendo eShop.
- To cancel an order, log in to the user account that includes the order you wish to cancel.
- Choose a user icon.
- Scroll down until you see the option to pick Your Pre-orders.
- Select Cancel for the order you want to cancel.
You should now be able to cancel your preorder. You’ll need to contact Nintendo Support if you have any further troubles, or if the order won’t cancel correctly despite the fact that it’s less than seven days away from launch.